Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Ciudad Juarez

In preparation for Sexual Assualt Awareness Week, Voices in Prevention peer educators had a training session that touched on some international issues around sexual violence. In this discussion the situation in Ciudad Juarez, Mexico was discussed. Though it is an extremely sad and heavy topic, I thought I would share it in this forum in order to raise awareness of this heart-breaking situation involving oppression of women in an environment with corrupt police/government, drug trafficking, sweat-shop labor, and intense poverty.

This series of crimes has been taking place for 25 years, though it seems that there is more responsible investigating now taking place due to increased scrutiny in Mexico and worldwide attention.

What does this have to do with me/us? I'm definitely thinking about my patronage to companies that employ sweatshop workers, i have little knowledge about this but i'm sure the clothes i'm wearing right now were made in pretty terrible conditions... conditions that make impoverished folks vulnerable to crime and abuse.
I'm also thinking about the drug trade that our students are involved with. I wonder to what extent the drugs that NYU students (or any U.S. college students) use are coming into the US via criminal organizations that exist in places like Juarez? Is the average NYU marijuana smoker contributing to criminal organizations around the Mexican boarder, and to what extent are our students aware of this?

1 comment:

Jamia said...

I think there are some small but strategic and intentional things we can do as professionals to help with this...One would be to make a concentrated effort to buy sweatshop free, to urge our employers to do the same when considering vendors for t-shirts etc, and to support groups like students against sweatshops with their programing.

i like unicorns. but like social justice... they only appear in my dreams.