Monday, April 7, 2008

Trans issues

This article is about a transgendered man, f-> m, who decided become inseminated and have a child (he still has a female reproductive system). You may have seen him and his wife on Oprah. I wanted to post this article because i had never thought about a situation like this. The two most important parts of the article for me were:

"It's not a male or female desire to have a child," he said. "It's a human desire. I have a very stable male identity."

and

"The couple say they had been refused medical assistance by eight different doctors, before finding one who was prepared to help with the pregnancy." (I am so saddened by this. It's so frustrating that many medical professionals discriminate in this way.)

I also found it interesting (and appropriate/respectful) that the writers always refer to him as a man, but I wonder if the language used here would've been different had he not ever had surgery.

-blake

2 comments:

Kristi said...

I think this is amazing...talk about "courageous". It has been fascinating/scary to watch the backlash against him on the news, though!

Jamia said...

I think this situation is really interesting from a number of standpoints... What are the implications of female to male men being afforded the same rights they would not have been afforded if they remained legible as "women"? What are the implications of rejecting the constraints of a sexist gender based framework, but then participating in privileges afforded to married heterosexual couples or patriarchs? I think this presents a whole host of interesting things to think about... What are the possible health concerns that could come up for someone with a uterus and ovaries who has also taken a large amount of testosterone hormones... Is there enough research out there to protect the health of people in this situation as they age?

A whole new host of discourses will arise out of this I'm sure.

i like unicorns. but like social justice... they only appear in my dreams.