Friday, April 11, 2008

How Class Works

I thought a lot of you might be interested in playing around with an interactive website about socioeconomic status. It brings to light some misconceptions, and the "income mobility" tab on the website is particularly interesting.

1 comment:

elisabeth said...

What surprised me the most looking at my own class, was to find that even just having a bacherlors degree places me so high within the education component. Despite that neither my parents nor grandparents completed a college education, I was raised with the encouragement that college was just what you did. There was never a question in my own mind that I would go to and complete college - even when two of my sisters did not.

I have always valued education and learned early on that my own access to a good education was a privilege - one my mother faught hard to secure for me. But no matter how much I learn about the state of education in our country, how many students I tutor who are denied the basic tenants of a good education, or how many of my own family and friends do not go to college - I still was suprised by the rank given to me for that diploma.

Looking at the second tab that breaks down class based on education level - it seems that even partial college education or a two year degree dramatically increases a persons ability to beak through to a higher income level. How can we help give students a chance if we dont even make this possible? We need to improve the k-12 system, increase the number and access to 2-year and technical skills post-secondary programs and give every person at least a starting chance at achieving more.

i like unicorns. but like social justice... they only appear in my dreams.