When I was getting ready to send an email direct today, I found this fascinating video clip on NYU's homepage. Take a look. The video is about halfway down the page in the left column and is called "What are the origins of the concept of homophobia?" If you push ctrl f and type in Kulick it should highlight it for you.
A quick summary of what I got out of it (although it is much clearer in the video): Homophobia emerged as a term in the seventies when members of the APA were attempting to depathologize homosexuality. A main argument here was that homosexuality was not a psychological issue, rather the fear of it was.
Prof. Kulick argues that this idea of homophobia misidentifies the problem as being an individual psychological issue of fear as opposed to a societal issue of hate. As a result attention is given to individual psychological issues which may or may not be there as opposed to the societal systems which may be motivating hateful behavior.
--
I think this concept raises some interesting questions about how we do social justice work, particularly when dealing with students who have engaged in hateful behavior. Thoughts?
Tuesday, April 15, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
i like unicorns. but like social justice... they only appear in my dreams.
1 comment:
This seems related to some of the issues we talk about in our presentation on masculinity. When we hear a homophobic comment specifically by a man, do we treat it as ignorance or a pressure coming from society to hate homosexuality and instill a fear of it in men? I think our field and tradition says that we address the situation psychologically, that it must be a student's ignorance or personal fears. But I like Seth's suggestion that we think big picture, and address some of the issues that might be embedded in our students from social stereotypes and norms.
Post a Comment