Monday, June 9, 2008

Focus on Feminism and the Presidential Contest

In today's Washington Post Linda Hirshman argues that feminism has lost its focus... My question and the question many other young, working class, and/or women of color feminists are asking today is WHOSE feminism has lost its focus? Right now there is a lot of bitterness from some of the mainstream hegemonic feminists who fear that Hillary's loss is an attack against progress for women. I feel alienated from this mindset and those who promote it, as a feminist who happens to believe in the intersectionality of race, class, and gender. I believe our movement has progressed because younger feminists have struggled and pushed for recognition from those who are reluctant to let go of power and privilege in order to make the movement more inclusive.

I was pleased when I learned about Feministe's rebuttal, challenging Hirshman and those who share her viewpoints to embrace the positive evolution of a more inclusive and JUST feminist movement. I see this moment as a fruitful one where new discourses are being introduced. I am pleased that more diverse people are becoming included in the struggle for equality. I sincerely hope that Hillary is chosen as the Vice President, however if she is not, I am still comfortable with Obama leading the nation because in my opinion he represents the interests of a broader group of people.

No comments:

i like unicorns. but like social justice... they only appear in my dreams.