In reading another blog, I came across this link to Perez Hilton, known for pop/celebrity gossip. http://perezhilton.com/2008-06-17-this-is-not-a-joke-39#respond
Reading through some of the comments, I think it's amazing how the internet and pop culture (or the internet as part of pop culture) is playing into the elections. I've come across video after video about Obama or McCain or their partners, all with long and never ending rants/comments/insights from people in and out of the US. As you can see, comments range from "It's just a joke" to "This is outrageous" to "This doesn't surprise me." When more and more of these conversations are appearing on blogs and in pop culture, I think it will definitely be interesting to see how these forums and places of "information" or "news" play into this election.
With YouTube formally be introduced during the debates and different informal campaigns/promotions occurring across blogs, facebook walls, and websites, this election is seeing a different means of creating conversation among voters, parties, candidates, and global observers.
1 comment:
I feel like this is the first presidential election where people are truly immersed in internet based technology. Candidates are communicating with the public on a whole different level. I barely saw tv commercials but instead was forwarded many blog postings, asked to join facebook support groups, sent sites with youtube videos where songs promoted candidates, and come across awesomely artsy computer backgrounds/ aim icons. The ability for an individual to feel they are “doing something” or “contributing to the cause” aside from just placing the vote or standing out in the sun with ballots trying to get people to fill out (paper) registration forms.
And, while blogs have allowed people to dialogue across physical boundaries on various policies/ issues that candidates support or not, I do feel that this has not occurred as much as technology has just upped the ability for candidates to brand themselves and attach more emotional attachment to their image (a great thing for democrats, who previously lacked this and usually went for the more emotionless/ logic-based approach to running a campaign).
Post a Comment