I was beginning to feel the burn of fear creeping up against me when I viewed some footage of randomly sampled West Virginians who expressed their extreme discomfort with electing a black man into the presidency. The sick part is that I wasn't surprised at all.
View the cringe-worthy footage here:
http://www.livesteez.com/videos/watch/nvYkHm9
Today, I remembered why I believe in the continued importance of resistance and endurance in the face of adversity. When I read that former segregationist and Ku Klux Klan member Senator Byrd (D-West Virginia) endorsed Obama I felt validated in my belief that we have to push through the fear and work to transform this country one day at a time, one heart at a time, one vote at a time. The fruits of the struggle do come, even if they don't always appear immediately.
We're already in the middle of a transformation within our country's racial discourse and even though it is painful at times, it is beautiful to behold.
Click here to read more about Byrd's endorsement: http://www.newsweek.com/id/137769
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
i like unicorns. but like social justice... they only appear in my dreams.
1 comment:
thanks so much for this. very eye-opening.
Post a Comment