It's always fascinating to stop and think about why we choose to automatically do certain things a certain way or how words become (mis)appropriated as the slang of a community. Often times current folks do what they do, heavily based on the fact that "that's the way it has always been." Whereas the origins may have been rooted in something much different and more specific. I suppose that's the power of how we present (or omit) history...
I like it when those epiphanies occur in life where something about yourself / life becomes much clearer as a result--(ie: for me, when I read this book in high school called Sophie's World or anytime I realize that I am actually doing something, or want something, based on a larger social construct of control and then can resist). I'm not sure if that really makes sense, but it's Monday so give me a break. At any rate, I've posted this link to Tolerance.Org's Power of Words curriculum. To be honest, I haven't really looked through it in detail, but upon initial glance, it seems like it might be useful with your staffs or at least an adapted version, to start the conversation around language use.
Monday, May 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
i like unicorns. but like social justice... they only appear in my dreams.
No comments:
Post a Comment