Hey, Blake posted something! Now I feel like I want to also. :)
I came across this listing of racially based incidents on college campuses a few months ago, and I was really struck that so many of these had occurred with little to no media attention. Additionally, when contrasted with how much (negative) coverage the University of Delaware received about their residence life program promoting social justice, it really made me think about how the media will skewer student affairs professionals who are trying to do good (with a few missteps) rather than critically look at what frightening things are happening, and why.
Why do you think that the media (and student affairs, for that matter) is seeming to sidestep this issue?
This is a similar list from 2006...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
i like unicorns. but like social justice... they only appear in my dreams.
1 comment:
Hey Kristi... thanks for posting this. on your first link there was a simple way to take action regarding the Jena Six situation. The following is the link to the petition to release the imprisoned students from Jena.
www.petitiononline.com/aZ51CqmR/petition.html
Post a Comment