Monday, July 14, 2008

"Plan Seeks More Access for Disabled"

Especially being in this particularly inaccessible city, I have been thinking a lot about accessibility and what I don't recognize isn't there or what I personally don't need but the lack of/current structure is making someone else's life pretty difficult.

On a regular basis I fail to consciously recognize how I personally (as a person who is temp. able-bodied) benefit from ADA based changes/ additions to the public sphere, but upon reflection realize I benefit a lot and typically they are things that I take for granted (ie: sidewalk ramps, elevator access, closed-captioning, variation in signage, shifts in thinking etc)....

This June 16, 08 article in the NY Times: Plan Seeks More Access for Disabled discusses some potentially mandated improvements in accessibility for individuals with disabilities/who are differently-abled, which are currently going through the White House. It elaborates/ expands on the 1990 ADA laws signed by G.H.W.Bush and has been under development for the last four years.

While some criticize potential costs in implementing changes/updates, others feel it is not strong enough.

At the very least, I am glad that some definition is being given to the 1990 ADA law so that we don't go another 18 years without being held too accountable as a public to continue to move fwd in improving access... "within reasonable accommodation?"

No comments:

i like unicorns. but like social justice... they only appear in my dreams.